Email has been a bit overshadowed by it’s flashier, younger cousins in social media. But, it still remains as one of the most effective and economical marketing tools available. Why? Email allows your business to “knock on your customer’s door” instead of waiting to be found. But like all good marketing, a little planning and attention to detail is required.
- Build one or more email lists constantly.
- Send information to your customers on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Only send emails with relevant content that benefits the recipient.
- Make sure the email “speaks” to the customer in a manner they respond to while portraying your brand in the most professional manner possible.
- If applicable, segment your campaigns to be most effective in select customer groups.
- “Prove” your business to prospective customers by providing email content early and often.
Beware of robo-emails.
Automated emails to welcome new subscribers or to suggest visiting an abandoned cart are useful. But, many companies are now trying to automate promotional and marketing emails driven purely by data and stats.
However, to generate truly personalized automated customer recommendations for automated email requires a deeply integrated website to supply customer habits and information on site. Many businesses do not find this a viable option. Others simply don’t seem to be using it correctly. The result is overly generic and impersonal communications. Customer fatigue and apathy can quickly set in, making them a prime target for your competition.
If you are new to email marketing, your program needs to be improved a bit, or you are looking for a turnkey solution to this aspect of your marketing, contact me today.